Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Driving in the Fast Lane

While I was on the road, I came to a stop behind a truck which had a bumper sticker on its back stating “Please don’t honk at me just because you’re running late.” This really made me laugh, mostly because I took it in two ways: first, that the owner of this vehicle is seriously a slow driver, and is most likely someone who has aged quite a bit, and second, that it’s just so true. 

Most individuals are always in a hurry, running late, and trying to make it to do things all at once. While multitasking is commendable, it may be detrimental to you physically, mentally, and well- entirely. 

For me, every day has become routine. Regardless of how much I tell myself at night that waking up in the morning earlier than usual will be better, I instead find myself resetting my alarm to a later time. In my half-asleep haze, I subconsciously tell myself that 5 minutes really won't make a difference, but in actuality does. This 5 minutes that I so desperately seek becomes the utter most demise towards the entirety of my day, and by the time I crawl out of bed, wash up, get dressed and I'm out the door for work, I realize that I have ten minutes to make what is in reality a 20-minute drive. So what do I do? I begin to rush. I speed out of the driveway, scratch the side of my car, and am running so late that I don't even bother to stop, get out and see what kind of damage I have caused. What's more is that I find myself speeding more than usual on curvy streets where I should really be slowing down. Not only that, but I'm cutting people off, and barely passing through the intersection on a "yellow light." Luckily, I make it to work in one piece, but I'm still in such a rush that I don't have time to see the damage to my car from the fender bender I had just a few minutes before. 
I’ve come to realize that this may be the life of most people living in the greater Los Angeles. We’re all “driving in the fast lane” and rushing through life. We never really stop to smell the roses, and unfortunately we will keep going this way until tragedy strikes, reality kicks in, and we begin to act cautiously. It’s really only a matter of time though, until we fall back into what we like to think of as the norm. 

People say that life is short, and you never know what tomorrow will bring, so live everyday to your fullest- just make sure you’re doing it unperturbedly so as to savior every moment of it, instead of brushing past all the little things in life.

Remember, the smallest things make the biggest differences.

…just some rambling thoughts…

No comments:

Post a Comment